More than 10 years after the promised 2-3 years, we finally saw some fruits on our cherry tree this year. Thanks to the attractive colour of the fruits, the tree was a sight to behold! But, of course, looks can be deceptive.
This cherry has a sour taste and is made up of equal amount of pulp and hard pits. That's why, the monkeys and the birds decided to leave everything to us!
For a while, we thought of letting the fruits be - allow them to drop off naturally and enrich the soil. Somehow, that didn't seem okay. It was like doing injustice to our long wait. Since the fruits have a low shelf life, I decided to see if I could preserve it.
I'm not a stranger to making jams and preserves. For jams, I follow a standard recipe shared by a grand aunt of mine. It involves marinading coarse pulp of the fruit in sugar for about 6 hours. Cooking this mixture on a medium flame until reaching the jam consistency, and, a few drops of lemon at the end completes the process.
Things were going on predictably - until I removed it from the fire! Even before cooling, the jam became so hard that I couldn't pierce the sharpest knife in my collection through it! The sugar, probably, was the culprit. I had added a little more than usual to counter the sourness of the pulp. I should have probably added some bananas instead.
Quite a hopeless feeling, you know! After de-seeding about 300 cherries, I had cheered myself up by saying that the toughest part was behind me!!
I then thought of the only knight who could save me from distress of this kind......
Apparently, a common kitchen disaster, Google had several reassuring solutions to my problem. I decided to try the easiest one - to add water and re- cook.
As if by magic, the mix softened. This time, I removed the pan from the fire just before the mix reached the jam consistency and all was well.
Here's the result - not exactly my best, but edible. Hopefully, the next time I'll get it right!