Skip to main content

Remembering an old friend

Brr...it's co--ld...makes me wonder if this is global cooling!! My friend, Guttappajja (Grandpa Guttappa) would have predicted a good monsoon for the coming season. You know, according to local wisdom, if the winter is co---ld, the following monsoon will be heav---y. Mild winter = low rainfall.

The weather used to be Guttappajja's favourite topic. Not surprising, because, he was a farm hand.. and, the weather was THE deciding factor for all his works. When I knew him, Guttappajja had retired from active farm work. He would spend his mornings idling here and there. Some times, around mid-morning, he would drop in and do some gardening works at his discretion - pulling out weeds, loosening the soil around plants, providing supports to weak plants,...

After about half an hour, he would call me and that would be my cue - to provide some breakfast and tea/ buttermilk. The first time, I had offered him money for his work, and, he had refused...he had even snubbed me! Obviously, I had offended him. After that, we never talked about money.

While eating, Guttappajja would talk to me - about the weather, gardening tips, town gossip, his family,... Having spent a life time as a farm hand, he knew everything about growing plants - such a BIG help for a novice like me, especially with the kitchen garden (must share those simple, organic tips some time). After eating, Guttappajja would abruptly leave..to smoke a beedi perhaps, and I wouldn't see him again that day!

Guttappajja had poor vision due to old age and if I realised that he was pulling out weeds, I would rush out and linger around...just to make sure that he wouldn't pull out the ornamental plants- he didn't care about them!
He would always chide me- 'No fruits, no flowers.. why do you want them!'

Well... a few years ago, Guttappajja passed away - peacefully, in his sleep. In fact, just 2 days before his death, he had loosened the soil around some of the plants here :(

Sometimes, just like that, I remember Guttappajja and his mostly one-sided conversations with me.
Last evening, I had noticed that the bamboo plants are in bloom. According to another bit of traditional wisdom, flowering of the bamboo implies drought. Must wait and watch... and form my own theory :)
Every time I see Guttappajja's college-going grand kids, I'm reminded of how he used to criticise his sons (farm hands) for 'wasting' money by sending their children to schools.
But, it is when I see vegetables like this in the garden that I think of him the most.



He wouldn't have allowed this to happen :(

Comments

  1. Your homage to Guttappajja is really good.

    It is true that the traditional knowledge says when bamboo blooms drought comes. It is because the population of rodents goes up when the bamboo rice falls and spreads on the ground. These rodents eat all the available food material and lead to drought.

    We, atleast I, look forward for your tips on organic farming that you have learnt from Guttappajja.

    Thanks Madam for a good write-up.

    Arun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nanda Kishor & Arun sir.
    That's an interesting theory about rodents. Then, if the rodent population is controlled, we can control the shortage of food during drought?
    I think, bamboo rice is 'drought-food' in some parts of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keen to know more about Guttappajja's gardening tips. I too prefer flowering plants to plants with merely ornamental leaves, though most commercial gardeners these days seem to focus on foliage.

    Flowering of bamboo leads to dying and drying of bamboo groves, which, then, are easily combustible. Forest fires may occur and cause destruction (and for a forest dweller, shortage of food as well). Not sure if there is a connection between bamboo flowering and quantity of rainfall that season.

    I read in the newspapers recently that in anticipation of forest fires after the flowering of bamboo, precautions are being taken at Nagarhole. Do all bamboo groves in a particular region flower simultaneously?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandhya, plants with colourful foliage like croton, duranta,.. are easy to maintain, give a shape,... you must agree, they look attractive :)
    This belief of drought when the bamboo flowers exists in N E India too..so, there must be something to it. After all, these theories are based on observations made through the ages.
    Bamboo flowers once in 50-60 years and then, that clump dies. So, I guess it must be region-specific...not sure, though.
    I'm interested in this contrasting combination this year...of chilly winter & bamboo flowers!!
    Precautions against forest fire are taken every year, in all forest zones, just after winter. Usually, the dept. guards set fire to the fallen, dry leaves in a controlled manner, monitoring all the while...otherwise, a burning match/ cigarette thrown when the wind is blowing in the suitable direction can cause a forest fire!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was there a drought that year???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2011 had a mixed monsoon - neither heavy, nor mild.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ash gourd & beliefs

Whenever a farmer comes to my doorstep selling vegetables, I buy them. The other day, one of the regulars dropped in. This time, he had only ash gourds. Since my own ash gourd vine was looking good, I had to tell him that I didn't want any. He then expressed a desire to see the vine - to check out the variety, etc... Soon after seeing it, he told me that the vine would produce only one gourd and that I should be offering it to some temple instead of using it! Well! I hadn't heard this one before! Though nobody knew why, every single person advised me against using the ash gourd if it turned out to be the only yield from that vine. And, 'Give it to some temple' was the final line that everyone added! You know, as far as vegetables and beliefs go, the ash gourd is one that has many attached to it... each one of them, meaningless and without logic. My mother believed that a whole ash gourd should not be cut with a knife by people whose parents were alive. Fortunat

Ganesha's water-pot!

You will not find this place on the tourists' list of places to visit in Chikmaglur. However, you'll find it on my list of favourite places in Chikmaglur. Let me take you there..... A half-an-hour's drive from home will take us to the not-so-sleepy town of Koppa. From here, onto  the road to Kesave village.  About 3-4 kms on this road, to the right - a rusty arch and the mud track beyond welcome us. Blink, and we'll miss the place! We are now on private property. This part of the estate is open to all. Because, it is here that the river Braahmi has her origins. The Braahmi is a small tributary of the river Tunga. Infact, she joins the Tunga within 20 kms. from her place of birth. The presence of an idol of the elephant-headed God lends some piety to the place.    Someone has done a neat job -  making it seem like the water is gushing out of a water-pot. This, and the presence of God Ganesh... the place is locally known as 'KamanDala Ganapati'. Lik

Temple Ponds

Temple ponds, or, 'Pushkarni's are such an integral part of ancient temples. I just can't get over the idea as well as the efforts that must have been made to build them.  Often, these ponds are quite polluted. But for the presence of some stagnant water, some of them look like dump yards :(  So, it was a pleasure to come across this clean one at the Janardhana Swami Temple at Yermalu on the Udupi- M'lore highway. Dakshina Kannada & Udupi districts can be called the temple districts of the world- there are so many temples that one would need a lifetime to cover all of them! So, not surprisingly, this was our first visit to this temple. If the M-S wedding didn't take place here, we would have missed this one. The idol here was installed by Saint Madhavacharya- social reformer & philosopher who lived 700 years ago. This pond has obviously been renovated since, but, surely, the origins date back to the 13th century, or, earlier? You know, according to t