Skip to main content

A Neutral View

I'm unable to recollect when/ where I saw a hijra (transgender) for the first time. But, I do remember one incident that left me terrified of them for a long time.

Sometime in my late-teens.... I had almost reached IB's (Iyengar's Bakery) for a quick snack. A hijra was harassing the maama @ IB's for money. Simultaneously, she was also chasing the customers away by making obscene gestures.......

Another time, I was on a train journey. Somewhere near N.K'taka, a group of hijras had entered the compartment and had harassed the men - quite successfully. Looking back, where was our guard? In cahoots with the hijras? Probably.....

To date, these two incidents remain my only real-life experiences with the hijras. The sole local transgender keeps to himself - when he is in town, i.e....
 In our films, of course, they are always portrayed in a crass manner - even when they are supposed to be blessing people during auspicious occasions.

I have often wondered why our movies love to misrepresent facts. In most movies, a typical farm-girl is dressed quite skimpily. In real life, it is the other way round! A farm-girl takes good care of her skin & hair and is always fully covered from head to toe when she is slogging outdoors.....

Coming back.....

One afternoon last year, I was lunching alone. I dislike dining alone, and when I have to, I turn to IB (Idiot Box) for company. While surfing channels, I chanced upon a documentary on NGC about hijras. Soon, I realised that the film featured hijras from B'lore (my hometown) and decided to watch it.

The highlight of the film was the annual festival celebrated by the hijras at Koovagam.  But, it gave me my first real peek into their lives. The film removed some of my prejudices, and, my fear was replaced by sympathy towards the hijras.

Some months after the movie, I came across this book - "The Truth About Me" - an autobiography by a hijra called A.Revathi .... the first of its kind.



I recognised the author (the person on the cover) as one of the hijras featured in the documentary and was interested.

Revathi's life begins as a boy in a normal middle class home. By the time the boy is a teenager, he realises that he has strong feminine feelings within him. The rest of the book is about how he joins the community of hijras, learns their rules, lives by the rules, and, sometimes, breaks the rules.
Revathi takes us through many of her traumatic, very personal experiences. Each experience makes her a stronger person, and as we take leave of her in the book, she is working for an NGO that caters to sexual minorities.

The book tends to be a little repetitive at times, but, I appreciate Revathi for coming out with her story and wish her well.

You know, the hijras have very rigid hierarchical rules within their community. It is taboo to break those rules. Many among them dislike their traditional professions - begging/ harassing/ prostitution..... and desire to come out of the stereotype. But, once they come out of it, it is very difficult to go back the group. It is a neither-here-nor-there situation if the regular society does not give such change-seekers a chance.

 Once in a while, one comes across news items where hijras have contested and won elections, passed post-graduate exams, etc. and one wishes that more of them are inspired. They will be inspired, I guess, if most of us drop our prejudices against them.

One of the most talked about issues when the Aadhaar Card registration forms came out was that the 'gender' column had three options - 'Male/ Female/ Transgender'. At last, the hijras are being counted -  and I think, that's one step closer to being accepted.....

 

Comments

  1. Such a thought provoking article. I share your sentiments as well. With all the Stigma/ opression the Hijras go through, It's a tough life after all. I shall get hold of the copy of the book too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the article and about the book.Yes we really do not know how tough their life is..I want to read the book too..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Priya & Sadashiva anna.... yes, it's a tough life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are at par with the leading columnists in India. Lovely writing. Thank you very much,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouraging words, Ashokanna :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ash gourd & beliefs

Whenever a farmer comes to my doorstep selling vegetables, I buy them. The other day, one of the regulars dropped in. This time, he had only ash gourds. Since my own ash gourd vine was looking good, I had to tell him that I didn't want any. He then expressed a desire to see the vine - to check out the variety, etc... Soon after seeing it, he told me that the vine would produce only one gourd and that I should be offering it to some temple instead of using it! Well! I hadn't heard this one before! Though nobody knew why, every single person advised me against using the ash gourd if it turned out to be the only yield from that vine. And, 'Give it to some temple' was the final line that everyone added! You know, as far as vegetables and beliefs go, the ash gourd is one that has many attached to it... each one of them, meaningless and without logic. My mother believed that a whole ash gourd should not be cut with a knife by people whose parents were alive. Fortunat

Ganesha's water-pot!

You will not find this place on the tourists' list of places to visit in Chikmaglur. However, you'll find it on my list of favourite places in Chikmaglur. Let me take you there..... A half-an-hour's drive from home will take us to the not-so-sleepy town of Koppa. From here, onto  the road to Kesave village.  About 3-4 kms on this road, to the right - a rusty arch and the mud track beyond welcome us. Blink, and we'll miss the place! We are now on private property. This part of the estate is open to all. Because, it is here that the river Braahmi has her origins. The Braahmi is a small tributary of the river Tunga. Infact, she joins the Tunga within 20 kms. from her place of birth. The presence of an idol of the elephant-headed God lends some piety to the place.    Someone has done a neat job -  making it seem like the water is gushing out of a water-pot. This, and the presence of God Ganesh... the place is locally known as 'KamanDala Ganapati'. Lik

Temple Ponds

Temple ponds, or, 'Pushkarni's are such an integral part of ancient temples. I just can't get over the idea as well as the efforts that must have been made to build them.  Often, these ponds are quite polluted. But for the presence of some stagnant water, some of them look like dump yards :(  So, it was a pleasure to come across this clean one at the Janardhana Swami Temple at Yermalu on the Udupi- M'lore highway. Dakshina Kannada & Udupi districts can be called the temple districts of the world- there are so many temples that one would need a lifetime to cover all of them! So, not surprisingly, this was our first visit to this temple. If the M-S wedding didn't take place here, we would have missed this one. The idol here was installed by Saint Madhavacharya- social reformer & philosopher who lived 700 years ago. This pond has obviously been renovated since, but, surely, the origins date back to the 13th century, or, earlier? You know, according to t