Skip to main content

Pet thoughts

During my school days, for a brief period, we had a dog and a cat - a pup & a kitten, actually!

Bumpy, the dog, treated the whole world like his long-lost buddy. That's why, he was given away to the very first person who asked if she could have him!
Chinky, the cat, had to be put to sleep thanks to some incurable illness.
After that, we had neither the time nor the inclination for pets.....

A couple of months ago, I had been toying with the idea of adopting a pet to keep me company -- not any more.

 It is so important to make a unanimous decision about the choice of the animal because all of us have to live peacefully in the same house!! And, our problem was precisely that! The choice of the animal!!

Dogs---NO! With dogs, we (my husband & the rest of us) have exactly opposite attitudes. My husband thinks that dogs should NEVER be allowed inside the house and should be tied up most of the time, preferably in some far-out corner. The rest of us feel that a pet should be able to roam freely in and out of the house - at will!

Cats---NO! All of us are not too fond of cats. As it is, our yard is teeming with stray cats and the thought that our pet could join them in harassing the neighbourhood is UNACCEPTABLE!

Rabbits, cows, etc. --- NO! Too much cleaning involved.

Caged birds--- NO WAY!

That completed our list of adoptable animals. Wonder why, 'fish' had not crossed our minds.  It was when I was passing by the new pet-shop nearby, that I had an impulsive thought! Why not, fish?!

 As long as I cleaned the bowl & fed the fish, everyone was okay with fish.

Here they are! The one on the right, with horn-like protrusions is Binkle. The other one is Flip.

It was fun to say 'hello' whenever we passed by the fish-bowl.... so good to watch them as they swam about.

 I had never thought of fish as communicative creatures. But, you know, they respond very well to human presence. Every time we passed by  them, they would come to the surface, opening & closing their mouths, anticipating food. But, they had come with some precise instructions - 'Only 2 grains of fish-food, madam...twice a day. Otherwise, they'll die of over-eating.'

Strangely, they seemed to know when it was 'food time'. They would come to the surface shaking their tail fins vigorously. Once fed, the vigorous shake would change to an elegant swish.

 Well... good things come to an end abruptly. Some 12-13 days into his life here, Binkle suddenly stopped eating. On day 15, I found him floating when I returned from my evening walk. The only thing I could do was to give him a decent funeral. Without much delay and fanfare, I buried him under the coconut tree.

 

Flip didn't seem lonely/ bothered/ sad. He carried on as usual. However, one evening, 2 months later, Flip was not as lively as usual.

My worst fears were confirmed the next morning. I found him floating... and repeated the burial act...this time, under the other coconut tree.

I know, everyone who has kept fish has had to deal with dead fish. I'm sure, nobody likes the sight of floating fish. I have also realised that I thoroughly dislike the task of burying dead creatures. And so, now, I'll have to say,

 Fish--- NO!

I'm so sure of this 'NO' that I have converted the fish bowl into a terrarium.


 

 I think, plants suit me (and all of us) the best .....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ash gourd & beliefs

Whenever a farmer comes to my doorstep selling vegetables, I buy them. The other day, one of the regulars dropped in. This time, he had only ash gourds. Since my own ash gourd vine was looking good, I had to tell him that I didn't want any. He then expressed a desire to see the vine - to check out the variety, etc... Soon after seeing it, he told me that the vine would produce only one gourd and that I should be offering it to some temple instead of using it! Well! I hadn't heard this one before! Though nobody knew why, every single person advised me against using the ash gourd if it turned out to be the only yield from that vine. And, 'Give it to some temple' was the final line that everyone added! You know, as far as vegetables and beliefs go, the ash gourd is one that has many attached to it... each one of them, meaningless and without logic. My mother believed that a whole ash gourd should not be cut with a knife by people whose parents were alive. Fortunat

Ganesha's water-pot!

You will not find this place on the tourists' list of places to visit in Chikmaglur. However, you'll find it on my list of favourite places in Chikmaglur. Let me take you there..... A half-an-hour's drive from home will take us to the not-so-sleepy town of Koppa. From here, onto  the road to Kesave village.  About 3-4 kms on this road, to the right - a rusty arch and the mud track beyond welcome us. Blink, and we'll miss the place! We are now on private property. This part of the estate is open to all. Because, it is here that the river Braahmi has her origins. The Braahmi is a small tributary of the river Tunga. Infact, she joins the Tunga within 20 kms. from her place of birth. The presence of an idol of the elephant-headed God lends some piety to the place.    Someone has done a neat job -  making it seem like the water is gushing out of a water-pot. This, and the presence of God Ganesh... the place is locally known as 'KamanDala Ganapati'. Lik

Temple Ponds

Temple ponds, or, 'Pushkarni's are such an integral part of ancient temples. I just can't get over the idea as well as the efforts that must have been made to build them.  Often, these ponds are quite polluted. But for the presence of some stagnant water, some of them look like dump yards :(  So, it was a pleasure to come across this clean one at the Janardhana Swami Temple at Yermalu on the Udupi- M'lore highway. Dakshina Kannada & Udupi districts can be called the temple districts of the world- there are so many temples that one would need a lifetime to cover all of them! So, not surprisingly, this was our first visit to this temple. If the M-S wedding didn't take place here, we would have missed this one. The idol here was installed by Saint Madhavacharya- social reformer & philosopher who lived 700 years ago. This pond has obviously been renovated since, but, surely, the origins date back to the 13th century, or, earlier? You know, according to t